Technology related blog with posts on iPhone, iPad, Flex, Java and various other things that cross my path.
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Working in Flex can help build really great for building very rich internet applications, however, when it comes to working outside of the Flash Player sandbox that is when things start to get a little more interesting.
Case in point... the application I have been working on required the ability to call a Java Applet. The applet was required because there had been a lot of Java code written with very complex algorithms for generating a certain type of image. We were concerned with the bandwidth usage required for going back and forth to the server for the images and also with the responsiveness of the Flex application as it waited for the response from the server. The application in question involved a WYSIWYG editor and these images were generated at the end of a drop.
To execute the call to the applet there was a javscript function that would get called using the ExternalInterface class in Flex. A call back was added that would then notify the Flex application when the image was generated. The thing I spent the most time figuring out was the proper way for loading the applet into an html page, while supporting both browsers and also attempting to stay compliant to the latest html standards.
What I found is that the good old html tags that are thrown about for this are: <applet>, <embed> and <object>. Now depending on what browser you are developing for will dictate which tags get used. My understanding is that for IE you use <object>, while for Mozilla you need to use <embed> tags. The <applet> may work for both, but is considered deprecated. Now this is where it gets really confusing because in order to support both browser types you have to add both sets of tags and in turn have to put a bunch of duplicate parameter definitions, etc...
Once I switched to this method it not only made my html much cleaner, but it also made the code xhtml compliant. I did have some difficulties checking for a specific version of the Java Plugin, with it always just returning the major and minor version and not the revision/update version. However, if you are looking to just add the applet this is the way to go.
Now this works well, but I did a little more searching, because "who wants to use the Adobe Standards" and found the SWF Object project on Google Code. It pretty much does the same thing as Adobe's recommended way, but is a little more robust and has what seems to be a pretty active community. Also one of the deciding factors was the ability to have the cursor and focus on a field in my application and also be able to type in it without having to click on the app. (That is for another post though)
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment